Thursday, March 23, 2017

I'm Too Scared To Even Walk On Past - Nick Cave

Nick Cave

I had to do it eventually. I've mentioned Nick Cave in so many posts already that it was only a matter of time before the man gets his own page. I've put this one off as long as I could, but no more.
So it's early 1994. I'm drugged up a bit on pain medication (hernia surgery) and whiny melancholy. The two roommate girls I liked (I wasn't greedy, I'd have been happy with either of them) are both at a dance event with friends of mine. And I'm lying in bed. All right. I'll put on that tape some dude sent me in exchange for some Lou Reed albums and then I'll just drift off to sleep. The tape was Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds' "From Her To Eternity" on one side and "The Firstborn is Dead" on the other. And I was high-tech, man. I had a tape player that would automatically play the other side when the first was done.
If you know those albums, you know they aren't the kind of stuff you go to sleep to. At least not comfortably. So I drifted off to terrifying dreams about falling down wells, being chained to rocks, and a giant fly pulling my limbs off like a demented child. But I woke up to an "extra" song.  Seems the guy who made me the tape had some extra room so he threw on a song from Nick's then current album "Henry's Dream".  The song was "John Finn's Wife" and I was spellbound. The painkillers and the whiny teen female rejection angst probably had something to do with it too! Now I don't understand how great music is made (proof here) but that two note string melody that essentially makes up an instrumental chorus to the song was suddenly the only sound I ever wanted to hear!

Previously I had heard Nick and thought of him as something of a novelty from this song (which I heard from a Soundtrack a friend and I won by placing 3rd in a three-legged race.) And then there were the old newsgroups. Anyone remember those newsgroups? alt.music.alternative or alt.music.leonard-cohen etc.  Damn I wish those old posts were archived somewhere. Well anyway I met a guy named Maurice Maes (anyone know how to get in touch with Maurice these days?) on the Leonard Cohen newsgroup. He kept telling me I gotta try this guy Nick Cave. I posted some diatribe about how the Holy Trinity of Rock was Lou Reed, Neil Young and Bob Dylan and he said "You gotta check out Nick Cave."  I posted "My knees hurt," and he said "You gotta check out Nick Cave."  I posted "Oh God, imagine if this D. Trump asshole ever had any sort of political power," and he said "You gotta check out Nick Cave."

I checked out Nick Cave. It worked. Nick also opened the Australian music floodgates for me. If you want an index of great Australian bands, here's what you do. Get out all your Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds albums, and then research everyone you see named in the credits either as a band member or guest and next thing you know you're in the Aussie rabbit hole and you're begging some dude on the internet to send you taped copies of Tex Deadly And The Dum Dums gigs.

And with this, I now have a post up for each of my current Big 4. The Fall, Luke Haines, Julian Cope and Nick Cave. And yeah, I'm seeing Nick in Detroit in July of this year! Can't wait.

Proof that Nick's as good as ever

Buy Nick's Music on Amazon

Nick Cave fans might like these pages:


1 comment:

  1. Oj, wow, Maurice maes. I traded a lot with him! Good to read your blog. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete