Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I need security but I hate safety - Julian Cope

Julian Cope

"Oh yeah, I've heard him on the radio. I think he kind of sucks."  That's what I told my friend Rich W. (another musical mentor of mine) back in 1996 when he said "You gotta check out Julian Cope, I think you'll love him."  Copey had two songs get decent airplay in 1991 when Columbus first got an alternative radio station (CD 101, which is now CD102.5. Cuz they've grown by 1.5 over the past 26 years.) "That guy just sounds goofy and wimpy, going all 'byootiful love now, byootiful love'"
Sometimes people persist. Rich persisted. Gave me a tape of a lot of songs of the Jehovakill album from 1994. Thank Odin for that!!! "No Hard Shoulder To Cry On" and "Upwards At 45 Degrees" were the first two to grab me. I've decided to include "No Hard Shoulder" because it's the one that means the most to me right now. "And this world does require a gain each day/ And this world will not tolerate my feelings."
The Drude is one of a kind, man. That's right, he calls himself The Drude or Arch-drude, combination of Druid and Dude. This guy has catchy pop-tunes (perhaps you've heard "World Shut Your Mouth") and 60 plus minute "Meditations" (Breath of Odin). Sweet songs of love and near-violent anti-monotheism dirges. I'd say Julian is vehemently intolerant of intolerance.

Now me personally, I prefer the weird side of the Drude's conventional side. Which is to say, his rock and roll songs, but the less conventional amongst them. He gained some fame early in his career as the singer of the post-punk "The Teardrop Explodes" before he shoved off into a a solo career where he recorded several albums of really catchy alt-rock like "St Julian" and "World Shut Your Mouh" Nice stuff, really. But then he got weird and that's what I love!!! His last several albums have (I believe) only been available via his website headheritage.co.uk and they've all been worth it.  If you want specific recommendations ask me in the comments. Or even better, if you already know the Drude, tell me what's the best in the comments.


Listen to No Hard Shoulder To Cry On on youtube

Okay, I had to add another one. If you listen to this entire track (all 20 minutes) tell me in the comments and you won't win a prize. Except for 20 minutes of ridiculous rocking guitar freakout!!!

Experience (loudly) Julian Cope's "Eccentrifugal Force"


Buy stuff from the Drude!!!




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my divorce I'll move to The German Village

      Delete
  2. Make it Italian Village and we're set!

    ReplyDelete