Monday, March 6, 2017

Welcome To Greg's Music World and Goodbye to Old Friends


Hi I'm Greg! And this is my world of music. In a world where everyone believes they have the actual best taste in music, well here's another guy who thinks "Hey, I know such good stuff that people should want to hear what I like."  No. I'm actually not so delusional as to believe that there's that many people who will care. (My friends Holly and Brandon will care!)  

Anyway, I just want to have some fun, learn a little and write about what I love.  If someone other than me (and Holly and Brandon) get to enjoying what I'm doing someday, well that's awesome.




My first entry is my current favorite song in the world.  "Goodbye to Old Friends" by Stuart Staples.   Stuart is the singer of the Tindersticks, and this is the first track off his solo album "Leaving Songs." I first learned of the Tindersticks in or around 1994 from Steve Louis, the owner of Sour Records  in Westerville, Ohio. (Check the link to Steve's current Record Store below)  Knowing I was a loyal fan of Nick Cave, Steve very adamantly suggested the 'Sticks to me, and it worked!  "Goodbye to Old Friends" is the lead track to the 2006 solo album and it's an incredible sonic journey from a lonely quiet guitar to an eventual complex crescendo of melancholic mayhem. It's a soft song that rocks if there ever was one! There are dozens of lines that could vie for someone's "Favorite lyric in a song ever," with mine being "But I catch myself in the mirror, and I remember I gotta do something about my life."

Anyway, listen to it!





Hear a Podcast where I discuss the entire album.


Have Steve Louis turn you on to great new music at his store






4 comments: